Rapid assessment of nutrient status at the farm
Vitamins are essential for nearly all physiological and metabolic processes, and optimum vitamin supplementation is a nutritional management tool that can be used to support health and performance in dairy cattle. Fertility problems – besides lameness and mastitis – are the most costly production diseases in dairy farming today.
Research in dairy cows and other species indicate that beta carotene performs a direct role in reproductive function. Based on these observations, the importance of dietary intake and status of beta carotene as a specific nutrient in dairy cows is apparent.
Since there is a strong correlation between the ß-carotene concentration of the diet and the ß-carotene concentration in plasma of dairy cows, the determination of ß-carotene levels in whole blood is helpful to optimize cattle feeding. iCheck Carotene can be used to determine ß-carotene in whole blood of cattle – within minutes in the field.
Measure Vitamin A, Vitamin E and beta-Carotene at Cow-side
Using iCheck Carotene, beta-carotene levels can be determined in whole cattle blood and serum, colostrum and vitamin premix for feed.
- Raila, J. Validation of a new point-of-care assay for determination of β-carotene concentration in bovine whole blood and plasma. Veterinary Clinical Pathology, Mar 2012
- Kaewlamun, W. The influence of a supplement of beta-carotene given during the dry period to dairy cows on colostrum quality, and beta-carotene status, metabolites and hormones in newborn calves. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 2011
- Kawashima, C. Effect of b-Carotene Supply During Close-up Dry Period on the Onset of First Postpartum Luteal Activity in Dairy Cows. Reprod Dom Anim doi, 2009
Vitamin A as Retinol
Using iCheck Fluoro, Vitamin A as Retinol can be determined in Milk, colostrum, whole blood and blood serum as well as vitamin premix.
- Raila, J. Validation of blood vitamin A concentrations in cattle: Comparison of a new cow-side test (iCheck™ FLUORO) with high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). BMC Veterinary Research. May 2017.
- Aglago, E.K. Comparison of ICHECK Fluoro Kit with High-performance Liquid Chromatography for the Assessment of Serum Retinol Concentration. African health sciences. Jun 2015
Accurately measure carotenoids in egg yolk in minutes
Carotenoids in poultry feed serve not only as pigments but as health promoting antioxidants, and also as a precursor of vitamin A. The color of yolk can only be predicted and controlled through the control of the carotenoid content in the feed. Controlling the color of the egg yolk is important because it is an important aspect for consumers around the world. iCheck Carotene, in combination with the egg preparation kit, is a valid and effective tool to determine total carotenoid of egg yolk under laboratory-independent conditions with little trained personal. The results serve as a guideline for adjusting feed composition.
- Islam, K.M. Carotenoid Status of Poultry Egg under Different Feeding System in Bangladesh. International Journal of Poultry Science. 2017
- Islam, KM. Comparison of three spectrophotometric methods for analysis of egg yolk carotenoids. Food Chemistry 172 233–237, 2015
- Schweigert, F.J. All in one method measures egg yolk colour. Poultry world. 2011
Rapid Determination of Asthaxantin in Fish Flesh
Since the flesh of wild salmon is pink due to the accumulation of dietary carotenoids, especially Asthaxanthin, end-consumers expect the same color for farmed salmon. Asthaxantin accounts for more than 90% of carotenoids found in wild salmon and may – when added to the feed – change the color of the normally grey flesh of farmed salmon to pink. The FDA permits salmon farmers to supplement asthaxantin to produce flesh pigmentation similar to that found in wild salmon. BioAnalyt provides an easy-to-use system to determine asthaxantin in fish flesh: iCheck Carotene and Salmon preparation kit.
Our team is staffed with expert scientists and experienced professionals in setting up quality control and method evaluation.
We can help you to find the right solution for you along each step of the way.